“The growth of Spanish-language media over the last 50 years has been very closely followed by our organization,” NATAS chairman Malachy Wienges said. “American television is changing at a rapid pace, driven by the growth of multicultural audiences who often speak more than one language. The Spanish-language media continues to grow exponentially each year, and NATAS believes it is long-overdue that we recognize its excellence in our industry.”
We are all very aware that unlike mainstream media, Spanish-language news and primetime programming have been growing at a rapid rate. It also outshines in ratings. According to the press release, the Univision Network won the July sweeps, beating ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX as measured by Nielsen, becoming the #1 network for Adults 18-49, the most coveted demographic for US advertisers. And all this regardless of language!
The nine new categories are as followed:
- Daytime Emmy® Awards Outstanding Morning Program in Spanish (For a Series)
- Outstanding Entertainment Program in Spanish (For a Series)
- Outstanding Daytime Talent in a Spanish-Language Program (For a Series)
- Sports Emmy® Awards Outstanding Live Sports Coverage in Spanish
- Outstanding Studio Show in Spanish
- Outstanding On-Air Sports Talent in Spanish
- News & Documentary Emmy® Awards Outstanding Newscast or News Magazine In Spanish
- Outstanding Coverage of a Breaking News Story in Spanish
- Outstanding Investigative Journalism in Spanish
The question now is will these awards be televised? You know what usually happens.